MDTP diagnostic readiness tests are used formatively in classrooms, departments, and schools to promote and support student readiness and success in college mathematics courses.
Teachers use MDTP diagnostic tests to inform and enhance their classroom teaching practices.
Departments and schools use MDTP diagnostic tests to collectively shape instruction, assessment, support and intervention, and policy.
MDTP Online Platform Upgrade
MDTP is excited to announce the successful upgrade of the MDTP online testing platform. While the new platform looks different, essentially, the functionality remains the same. Please review the MDTP Diagnostic Tutorials as needed to support this transition.
Additionally, the new platform includes new features that will benefit educators and students in efficiently diagnosing and preparing students for success in mathematics courses. These new features include:
- Faster processing speeds
- A single login page for students, faculty, administrator and placement users which can be found at the following link https://mdtpdiagnostic.ucsd.edu/
- Ability for users to pull side-by-side comparison reports to dynamically inform instruction
All MDTP online readiness test users will be automatically directed to the new platform. Please contact your regional site staff or the Director’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need support using the new platform.
To register for online testing, please complete the appropriate online testing registration form.
Visit http://mdtp.ucsd.edu/about/video-documentary.html to learn about how teachers use the MDTP to:
- Shift pedagogy and focus
- Share students strengths and weaknesses
- Place students for success in math
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which MDTP test should I administer?
Visit the main MDTP site at the url: http://mdtp.ucsd.edu/k12-users/readiness-tests.html to see tests that are available and appropriate This is a list of suitable, existing MDTP tests that could be used to measure grade-level preparedness and course-level readiness for students entering the following Common Core aligned classes in the Fall. For more specific information on tests please visit the main MDTP site http://mdtp.ucsd.edu/ Math 6 6M35D19 (field test) or 7M40A15 Math 7 7M40A15 Math 8 8M40A15 Algebra 1 / Math 1 AMR45A19 replacing the HS45A15 Geometry GR45A19 Integrated Math II ISR45A17 Algebra II SR45A19 Integrated Math III ITR45A17 Precalculus MR45A08 or MR45D19 (field test) AP Calculus CR45A12 AP Statistics SR45A06 and WRI Discrete Math MR45A08 or MR45D19
- When should I administer the test(s)?
- Teachers often administer tests near the beginning of the course to help identify curriculum areas that need review, during courses to measure growth from the beginning of the year, and/or near the end of the course to help students prepare for the next mathematics course
- How do I order testing materials?
- Visit the main site and submit the form online, or call our office and someone will help you with your order (530) 754-9504
- Is there a cost to use MDTP testing materials?
- MDTP provides online testing and paper testing and services to California secondary educators free of charge.
- Does MDTP have written response questions?
- Teachers can go to the link http://mdtp-wri.ucsd.edu/register to request MDTP Written Response Items. Each item provides a downloadable PDF file that contains the item for reproduction and distribution to your students, an Essential Statement containing additional information about the question prompts and ideas for classroom extensions of the question, the MDTP generalized scoring rubric applicable to all MDTP written response questions; and the specialized scoring rubric created specifically for that particular item
- How long does it take to process an order for online testing access or paper testing?
- Per the conditions of the CSU/UC MDTP agreement, we do our best to process all orders usually within two days of receipt of requests. For online testing, educators generally receive full access within 48 hours after receiving the online request. For paper testing we can either mail the testing materials to you or you can pick them up in our office on the UC Davis Campus. Please take into consideration weekends and holidays when ordering materials to be shipped out.
- Do you offer testing materials for non-English speakers?
- Yes! We offer several tests in Spanish: pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, and second-year algebra readiness. Spanish versions are available online and in paper tests.
- How long does it take to receive the test results?
- Online testing results are immediate. For paper testing, per the conditions of the CSU/UC MDTP agreement, our office strives to have test results available within two days of receipt of answer sheets. Please keep in mind that mail can take several days to get to our office. We can have test results mailed to you, or you are welcome to pick them up in Dutton Hall. Also please factor in weekends and holidays when anticipating turn-around times.
- Does my county work with the UC Davis MDTP site?
- The UC Davis site works with schools in the following counties:
If you do not see your school's county on this list, please visit http://mdtp.ucsd.edu/k12-users/regional-sites.html.
Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, Del Norte, El Dorado, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Mendocino, Modoc, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Yolo, Yuba
- Is the MDTP test helpful with changes to the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics?
- Yes! MDTP began developing readiness tests aligned to the new California Common Core Standards for Mathematics in 2013. MDTP has released Common Core aligned tests for students entering Grade 7 (7M40A15), Grade 8 (8M40A15), Algebra 1 or Integrated Math 1 (AMR45A19) Geometry (GR45A19) or Integrated Math 2 (ISR45A17), and Algebra 2(SR45A19 or Integrated Math 3 (ITR45A17). Currently MDTP is in the third year of field-testing in the Assessment of Preparedness for 6th Grade Mathematics (6M35D19) and the first year of field-testing the Mathematics Analysis Readiness Test (MR45D19). If you would like to participate please contact email@example.com
Helpful Documents with 2019 updates: