English Language Learner Specialist
- Writing Support Center
I began my time at UC Davis as a graduate student in the Linguistics Department at UC Davis in 2007. My research focused on second language acquisition and development, particularly in the high school setting. After I graduated with my PhD in 2012, I continued to work in the department teaching ESL and introductory linguistics classes. I also taught ESL courses in the International English and Professional Program at UC Davis Extension. I started at the AATC in 2013 as the English Language Learner Specialist. While my specialty is working with English language learners, I am available to work with all undergraduates in one-on-one appointments and in the writing studio, deliver writing workshops in classes, and present on AATC services. I regularly teach Foundations for Tutoring; also, I am co-author of the Aggie Grammar Guide.
B.S. Anthropology, UC Riverside, 2006
M.A. Linguistics, UC Davis, 2009
PhD Linguistics, UC Davis, 2012
- Sturman, H. (2012) Immigrant Socialization: Literacy Development among Girls in a US High School (Doctoral Dissertation) http://linguistics.ucdavis.edu/graduate/graduate-programs/ph-d-program/doctoral-dissertations
- Sturman, H. (2012/2013). Promoting Student Engagement During Integrative Lessons: A Model Classroom. CATESOL Journal, 24(1), 272-286.
- Sturman, H. (2018). Best Practices to Support Generation 1.5 Student Writers. The Learning Assistance Review, 23(2), 71-86.
- Sturman, H. (2020, July 29). The importance of positive reinforcement [Blog post]. Retrieved from http://www.praxisuwc.com/praxis-blog/2020/7/14/the-importance-of-positive-reinforcement
- Sitz, K., Loring, A., Mabunga, B., & Sturman, H. (2020, August 4). The amplification of care [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://www.wlnjournal.org/blog/2020/08/the-amplification-of-care/